Wednesday, August 5, 2009

IVF # 1 - SD7 (CD6) - Cancelled

My check-up with the RE, Dr. Kiperstock, went as well as can be expected since I knew going in they were going to cancel this cycle. [Sidenote: While he was very plesant, conveyed a lot of compassion and understanding, and gave me plenty of time to talk and ask questions, I was a bit taken aback at how little he knew of my protocol and history. He asked me something about the Lupron I took (I'm on the Ganirelix Acetate protocol) and had to look up my diagnosis. I thought that the SG REs all got together to discuss at least some of the cases, but apparently they don't (or they just haven't discussed mine). Anyway, since I know all of the details of my file, I was able to bring him up to speed pretty quickly and we went from there].

So, back to the story. While the cyst seems to have gotten a bit smaller, Dr. K thinks (as do I) it's for the best that we start fresh after AF. I actually asked Dr. K today why they did not re-test my TSH prior to my first attempt at an IVF cycle. I also asked him why they did not just aspirate my cyst at the beginning of this more recent IVF cycle attempt. He basically expressed that they try to be as minimally invasive as possible (I guess because in most instances just waiting to see if things right themselves on their own usually works), that hindsight is 50/50, that ART is an art (my words, ha ha), and that they are trying their best. He also apologized, which I really appreciated. He recommended that I wait for AF, see if the cyst goes away, and then get started again. If the cyst is still there, they will aspirate it at that point and then I can get started again. The only problem is that DH and I have booked a few trips in the fall and winter, so cycling will have to work around our schedules. I will not let TTC interfere with our daily lives - it's already gobbled up so much of our time.

I guess the nurse emailed my RE, Dr. Mottla, who I think is on vacation, and he asked her to schedule me for a consultation with him for an ultrasound and bloodwork in two weeks. I'm actually happy about that because 1) I get to see my RE for a de-briefing session and 2) I'd like to know if the cyst has gone away because I'm a bit worried that it could be a sign of something more serious.

My DH wants me to have a consult with a new RE. I'm torn because SG has really stepped up the level of caring and compassion and cycling there is so convenient for me. Plus, I have all of my insurance ducks in a row and I don't feel like having to go through all of the initial testing and providing my medical and infertility history from scratch. I really do think that SG is great at what they do - their success rates are excellent, they've got top notch REs and a state of the art lab that comes highly recommended - it's just that due to their size, they may let things unintentionally fall through the cracks and for special cases (yes, I will be egocentric because I believe I am a special case), they really need to be on top of their game with all of the details.

Anyway, I actually feel at peace today because this cycle was a bust from the start. One of these cycles WILL work. It just sucks that my first one was so crappy because I really wanted to know how I was going to stim and I still can't assess that because of the interference from this cyst. In the meantime, I will enjoy not stimming or being on BCPs and simply enjoy life. Our time will come. In the meantime, I have been extremely blessed and I will take some time to appreciate those blessings.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry that this had to happen to you. I know exactly how you feel. This same situation happened with my "first" IVF cycle. It was canceled due to a cyst. Hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete