Wednesday, November 11, 2009

2nd Ultrasound - 8 Weeks 2 Days

I had my first appointment (but second ultrasound) at the Center for Maternal and Fetal Medicine in Annapolis this morning. The facility seemed nice enough and the staff were friendly. Dr. Spencer reviewed my ultrasound results and he was very pleasant, as well. When I entered the ultrasound room, I started to untie my shoes and proceed to get undressed, but the tech stopped me and said that undressing was unnecessary and I just needed to hop on the table. She said she can tell who underwent ART to have a baby because those were always the ladies who start stripping once they enter the room.

Thankfully, Murtle seems to be on track and is doing well. Today she is 8 weeks and 2 days along. She measured 1.73 cm (up from 8mm at 7 weeks and 0 days) and her heartbeat was beautifully beating at 161 bpm (up from 122 last week). She technically measured at 8 weeks and 1 day, but that was considered to be ok and within the normal target range. So, that will be my last chance to see her until my first trimester screen at 12 weeks - four weeks away from tomorrow! Once again, I've been researching to make sure her numbers are ok and have been finding that chances are good that she is healthy and will make it to delivery. One of the most reassuring pieces of information that I found was that while the first trimester miscarriate rate is about 15%, for babies who have a strong heartbeat such as Murtle's at the 8 week point, the chance of miscarrying is only 1%. Whew! We're still planning on not telling anyone who didn't know we were undergoing IVF that we're pregnant until after the first trimester screening results come back - but that should be a perfect time because it will be just in time for Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. That's fantastic news, Jennifer! Your blog inspires me and gives me hope. I'm on my third IVF cycle and a few days away from ER. I found your blog the day I found out my FSH was much higher than they expected. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everything is going well! I can only hope to be in your shoes someday soon ...

    *praying, wishing, crossing fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply awesome...Murtle will be the best Christmas gift of them all...continued prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2:17 Poster - Thank you so much! Best of luck to you at your ER! Please keep us posted on how everything goes! What was your FSH? Whatever it was, don't fret...you WILL get pregnant one day and hopefully that day will be before Christimas this year!

    Keri - You WILL!

    4:03 Poster - Thank you - I appreciate your prayers and support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer, I posted a few days ago stating how much your blog has encouraged me. I have added you and your family to my prayer list! I know everything will continue to go great!

    BOB (Babies On the Brain)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I found your blog while surfing the web looking for info on high fsh. I am 33 and just dx with fsh of 21! And hypothyroidism! We are desperately wanting a child, so is there any way that I could email with you about some questions I have? I know that's a bit weird since I"m a stranger but I"m just looking for someone who's been through it to talk to. Thanks. Karen wrenlklein at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. BOB - Thanks so much - I appreciate it! I hope things are going well for you!

    Hi Karen - Sure thing! I'll send you an email and we can chat.

    ReplyDelete