Wednesday, December 9, 2009

2nd OB Appointment - 12w2d

I can't believe I'm almost through the first trimester. Until my OB appointment this morning (at Chesapeake Women's Care's Annapolis office), I definitely would not have believed it due to my miscarriage nightmares and because, aside from the nausea (which I felt was purely psychological), I still don't feel (nor look) pregnant. Also, putting my non-existent baby bump aside, I actually lost two pounds since my first OB appointment four weeks ago. I suppose that shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, though, because my usual pre-pregnancy, hearty appetite has taken a severe down-turn and I actually have to force myself to eat so that some of the nausea that consistently creeps up each and every night since about the eight week point lies low. Luckily, fruit has been my saving grace, especially watermelon, clementines, and grapes.

I guess I was really nervous about today's appointment because my blood pressure was 159 over something when they first checked it, so they had to check it again 15 minutes later because they were a bit concerned about it! After that came down, the rest of the appointment went well. The OB I met today, Dr. Jessica Russell, asked how I was doing and then reviewed all of my test results from my first OB appointment (all was A-OK). Then, to my relief, she pulled out the doppler. She told me to be patient because this could be like finding a needle in a haystack, but thank goodness she was able to find the heartbeat within a minute or so on my right side. The baby's heart was blisfully beating away at about 160 bpm. Every once in a while, there would be a brief interruption in the beating - Dr. Russell told me that was when the baby was moving! So, WHEW! There's still a baby in there! Now I can truly look forward to (rather than being filled with nervous anxiety over) tomorrow's ultrasound at the MFM's office for the first trimester screening! Now I am just hoping and praying that the initial screening results look ok and that the baby is measuring on track and seems healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Great news! Can't wait until I get to be in your position ...

    ReplyDelete