Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First Bio-Physical Profile (BPP) / Non-Stress Test (NST) (37w2)

I had the first of once weekly bio-physical profiles done today. Since my husband and I agree that Murtle will come when she's ready, we want to let nature run it's course and not let anyone induce me unless it's medically necessary. Therefore, my OB wants me to have these weekly tests done to make sure she continues to thrive. The nurse measured the fluid level and checked on the health of the placenta (which she said was "not old" - hooray!). She also watched Murtle do some breathing exercises (which she passed with flying colors). The nurse then hooked me up to a doppler machine that tested Murtle's heartbeat and reactivity (and contractions on my part, which I don't think I had any) and she did fine with that. Therefore, Murtle got her first 10/10 - A+! She's off to a good start!

As a side note, I loved and was so glad I had the nurse who ran my test today. Since she taught herself how to do the 3D / 4D ultrasounds (the techs are the ones who do the full-fledged ultrasounds and take the pictures), she throws some of those pictures in as a bonus at the end of the BPP. We had not been able to get any more pictures of Murtle during the last two growth ultrasounds because of her positioning. However, I found it interesting that this nurse was able to get some of the best shots I have ever seen (especially considering Murtle was in the same position today as she has was during the last growth ultrasound). Granted, it took a while to get Murtle into the right position, but she eventually obliged by moving her arm after I had switched my position, as well. And boy does she look like a chunky monkey now! My husband and I think she has my nose (although my husband's family is convinced that she has his nose) and I think she has his lips and eyes. She's also got some really chubby cheeks (which she's doomed to have because both my husband and I have chubby ones - a guy had actually nicknamed "Chippy" in high school because of my "chipmunk cheeks"). Who would have thought that she was in the 15th percentile for growth not too very long ago...I may have to switch back to drinking skim milk now - Now I'm afraid she's going to be too big!

No comments:

Post a Comment