Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Consultation with Dr. Mottla

I had my consultation with Dr. Mottla today. I didn't go into all of the questions I had listed in my previous post. I just asked him how he thought I responded to my first IUI protocol and how he expects me to respond in the future. He told me that I responded better than he thought I was going to considering my first round of testing results. He seemed optimistic about our chances and doesn't think we may need to go the donor egg route in the future. He does think that we will have a better shot w/ IVF, though, and thinks we could get a decent number of eggs for IVF (between three and six). However, due to insurance reasons, I would have to wait until April 2010 to get coverage for that and he doesn't think we should wait that long. However, DH may have a "male factor" issue - if that is the case, then the insurance companies will waive the two-year waiting requirement. Why they won't waive it if a girl has high FSH or a low antral follicle count is beyond me. Dr. Mottla also told me that once I get pregnant, there is a good chance that I could carry it to term because my tubes, uterus, and lining all look good (provided that I get a good quality egg, that is).

Oh, I also asked him if I stimmed too quickly and if that could be the reason for not getting pregnant. He said that for girls that stim quickly, their follies start to grow earlier than girls who stim more slowly. My follies could have even started to grow even before AF started. So, just because my follies grew quickly, it doesn't mean that they weren't mature at the time of the IUI. He also didn't seem to be concerned that the IUI was timed too late based on my E2 and LH levels prior to triggering. So, I guess I will try to stop worrying about all of these technical things and just let things run their course.

Thus, our next step is to proceed with the next IUI (I expect AF to arrive on Saturday), but we will also get DH tested again to confirm that he does have male factor. If he does (and if IUI # 2 doesn't work), then we will move to IVF w/ ICSI and AH.

1 comment:

  1. You should have DH take a long hot bath before he has his test, that is if you want to have male factor, but then you should realize that he won't be that fertile for the next 3 months.
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete