Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Little Bit of Information Goes a Long Way

Dr. Sacks is back on my good side. After I sent my new favorite nurse, Amy, an email telling her that I was surprised Dr. Sacks didn't want to do anything until the start of my next cycle and asking her if she knew what his plan was for me, he sent me the following email:

"In general, the cysts on your ovary are either from the previous cycle, or new this month because your body is trying to compensate for the reduced ovarian function. In that case, the level of FSH is higher just prior to the menstrual cycle beginning and the “cysts” are really follicles.

It is impossible at this point to distinguish between these two scenarios, but neither one should delay the onset of the next cycle or stop us from moving forward. In addition, they should not need to be aspirated prior to starting a cycle.

I was going to check you in a week to get a better idea which scenario is more likely, and they would make some recommendations.

If it looks like you have already ovulated, then the second scenario is the case and I may start estrogen pills to block the early rise in FSH for the next cycle. If you have not ovulated, then it is the first scenario and I will just await the resolution of the cysts and the onset of the next cycle."

So, all is well again. I'm very happy he emailed me. However, had I not emailed Amy, I would have simply gone in on CD1 and another cycle would have been lost. This all goes to show you...be proactive ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment