Wednesday, March 11, 2009

IUI # 1

Well, IUI # 1 has come and gone and now I'm in the dreaded Two Week Wait. My appointment was scheduled for 11:00 am yesterday morning, but the RE didn't get to me until almost noon. The procedure itself was quick and relatively easy and painless. I experienced a slight bit of cramping during the IUI, but that was it. I waited on the table for five minutes and then was free to leave.

Unfortunately, it was not Dr. Mottla's day to perform the IUIs, so I didn't get any of my questions answered to my satisfaction. Also, I was scared that I had actually ovulated on Monday (March 9th) since I got a peak reading on my fertility monitor on that day and since my temperature rose almost .4 degrees yesterday morning (Tuesday, March 10th). If I had ovulated on Monday, the IUI probably would have been performed too late since the egg is viable only for about 12-24 hours after ovulation. However, I learned today (not from anyone at Shady Grove, of course) that the Ovidrel trigger may have been one of the reasons for the slight temperature shift yesterday. Considering I had another .4 degree temperature rise today, I feel more confident that I ovulated yesterday instead of on Monday. So, that's at least one worry that has been quashed, thanks to my own research and inquiries.

I will start taking the Prometrium progesterone suppositories twice a day starting tonight until my Beta blood test, which is scheduled for Tuesday, March 24th. I am not feeling too optimistic that IUI # 1 worked, especially since I only had two mature follices by "trigger day," but time will tell.

I do know that if this cycle does not work, I will take a month off and then I will start going to the Columbia office for my monitoring appointments. I'm really fed up with the way that the Annapolis office treats its patients. I hate feeling so empty and uninformed after each and every interaction with anyone in the Shady Grove office (except for the one U/S tech, Kelly, and the the morning nurse, Joyce).

No comments:

Post a Comment