Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hope...Then Limbo!

My day started off by showing some promise when I went into my RE's office for my check-up for who knows what this morning. I was originally supposed to go in to see if I had ovulated since I stopped meds last Tuesday but because I started to spot on Saturday and then bled on Sunday, it may have been a baseline check-up - even the receptionist was confused as to why I was there today. Dr. Sacks told me it was a good thing I ended up coming in because it looked like the bleeding was AF since my lining is thin. He even saw a few antral follies! (Or were they just the same follies from two weeks ago that never were able to get going because of being oversuppressed?). Dr. Sacks said he likes the mystery because it keeps things interesting - I thought that was funny. If the bloodwork had looked good, I was going to be able to start stimming tonight! I asked him about trying Femara this time, but he said that he doesn't like it because studies have linked it to birth defects (however, I recently learned that that may be in women who are already pregnant by the time they are using Femara, which would not be the case with me). Dr. Sacks personally doesn't believe it causes them, but he doesn't use it (except on breast cancer patients) because if I were to get pregnant and the baby had a birth defect, I would always be wondering, "what if." Dr. Sacks said that he prefers Clomid. When I asked him about Clomid having a detrimental affect on the lining, he said that it can, but they can always freeze the eggs/embryos until the lining is able to thicken up. So, he said that he'll try what I suggested to him a few days ago - a low stim cycle (using Follistim and Menopur) and nix the estrogen since I haven't been on the pills anyway since last week. So, we'll basically be going for another attempt at the Ganirelix protocol. He told me that he was just able to retrieve four eggs from another patient who just had a failed cycle and then went on a low-stim protocol...so I left that appointment on a nice high.

That high went away when I got the call about my bloodwork this afternoon, though. While Dr. Sacks does think that I had my period, he just wants to keep on monitoring me to see what happens with this cycle. My E2 was 94 and FSH was 26 (argh). I need to go back in next Tuesday for another look. I am a bit worried that this could be the best it's going to get. I wonder if things would have looked more promising if I had gotten into the office on Sunday or Monday and started stims then. I guess I'll never know, but as of now, I'm back in limbo land!

1 comment:

  1. Hello friend! Glad you made your blog public so I can follow you! Or maybe I was having a computer glitch the last time I tried to follow you. Sorry you are in limbo again. I hope your u/s and b/w next week show you are ready to start stims and you can get started. IF really is the waiting game! Talk to you later on FT ~Knot

    ReplyDelete