Monday, September 28, 2009

It Only Takes One!

The actual egg retrieval procedure and recovery went really well this morning. Dr. Sacks and the nurses were great and took very good care of me and my husband. This was only the second time in my life that I've ever been put under. Let me tell you - the anesthesiologist (Dr. Ko) mixed a great "cocktail" (not to mention she was warm and wonderful)! Unfortunately, Dr. Sacks was able to retrieve one only egg, despite having those four follicles. He went to synagogue (for Yom Kippur no less, yet he still was there for me) after my procedure, but stopped by my recovery room beforehand to give us the update and then said that he was going to go and pray for our little guy. It's so nice to feel so well cared for!

So, while it wasn't the outcome for which we had hoped, I'm adopting the attitude that it only takes one. I already feel a sense of attachment to my little egg that is hopefully becoming our little embryo as I type this and am praying for our little miracle. Oh, and my friends have dubbed my little egg / hopefully soon to be embaby, "Murtle," as in Murtle the Turtle! :D

As an aside, I did a bit of research to figure out why only one egg was retrieved. One logical explanation seems to be that those other eggs may have been attached too tightly to the follicular wall. More tightly attached eggs could be indicative of abnormal eggs that wouldn't have produced a healthy embryo. So, instead of giving me false hope that I had four eggs that could make it, instead, I have a realistic optimism that the one egg that was retrieved was a healthy one - and one that will become our baby.

Fertilization report to come tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. It does take just one...I will keep you in my prayers that "Murtle" is the ONE!

    ReplyDelete